BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 1 in hospital - Surgery Day

I'll make this as brief as possible after all, I was in the hospital for 7 full days. 

I showed up in my PJ's and no makeup, hair done.  There was a mix up in my surgeon.  I was like "no, i said i want Dr. Felix not Dr. Swartz".  I will NOT do surgery if Dr. Swartz does it.  Not that Dr. Swartz is bad, but I know Dr. Felix is the best of the best and I had only met with Dr. Felix. 

I was taken to a room where my bed (little did i know i'd be on for 7 days) was at.  I was to get undressed, put all my clothes, shoes and undergarments into this plastic see-through bag thing that they would keep with me under my bed in a holder thing. 

I got on the bed and waited.  Two nurses came in, and then a third.  One asked me health related questions and the others got me ready for surgery, one was doing something behind me, i'm thinking an IV the other was putting the IV in, when i heard the IV lady say "whoops, i'm sorry, that vein just popped."  I'm sorry but "whoops" is not a word you want to hear while laying there in a hospital bed and especially not from the lady with the big needle. 

She then tried my other arm, while my left arm stung ridiculously.  She managed to get a good vein for my right arm, a "straight" one she said. 

My grandpa (Poppy) showed up to pray for me before surgery, David was in the room with me.  I almost cried because for some reason, i just got really nervous and realized that i COULD die from this.  I stayed strong. 

As i was wheeled on my bed past my family in the hallway, they all waved and said not to worry.  My mom and dad were able to come into the "pre-surgery" room with me, where i met the funny, African-American anesthesiologist, who was super nice.  He calmed me down and got me to understand what was about to happen and not to worry because I was in good hands. 

Dr. Felix showed up and I verified once more that HE would be my surgeon.  He agreed and said "of course it's me." Told my parents to say goodbye for now and then they were going to take me to surgery.

I remember whizzing past each hallway, each turn faster and faster, or maybe that was my heartbeat.  I was getting scared.  I was wheeled on my bed into this FREEZING cold room.  The temperature change was undeniable! I heard party music going on and a lot of laughter.  I felt at ease when i heard the happy crowd that was about to work on me.  At least no one was having a bad day.  I saw the faces, okay, no, i saw the ceiling, and eyes.  With blue masks over their faces and muffled voices.  I was told to slide from my bed to this very thin cold hard, metal table.  Which i knew was THEE table.  My arms were spread out beside me.  I heard the anesthesiologist say "okay you're going to feel a little chill go through your veins and I want you to close your eyes and think of the beach".  I felt almost immediately my eyes crossing and I laughed and said "whoa, you must have done that already, my eyes feel funny.." that was all i remember.

I woke up to a young girls voice. "Stephanie sweetie, you're in recovery, from a 1 - 10 what's your pain level?" of course I said "8" only because I was trying to be strong, and really wasn't sure what "10" was, but it was sure close!  I was gagging a little on the treck tube they had stuck down my throat which i don't remember them pulling out, but I do remember the feeling in my throat being so scratchy and dry.  Ouch.  I hated the recovery room.  It was painful.   I think the girl in recovery gave me some good pain meds because I don't rememeber falling asleep I just remember waking up in my room on floor 3.   Room 321, if i remember right. 

I was laying there staring at my family gathered around me, looking at me and saying "how do you feel?".  Later that night, I was asked to get up and try to pee.  I did.  With no problem at all.  A asian nurse came in saying that i needed a catheter.  Oh man, NO!!! I could hear the two nurses arguing with each other one saying "no she doesn't need it she just peed" the other saying "it's doctor's orders".  I was like "whoa, someone tell me what's going on..." i remember the feeling of the catheter going in.  NOT FUN!! It sucked! Whatever though.  I started to get the hiccups, painful relentless ones.  My heartbeat was going really high, up to 150.  Which was causing the hiccups.  The doctor came in at around 4pm and said "Stephanie, I'm sorry to say this, but we are going to do exploratory surgery on you to try and make sure you don't have internal bleeding your heart rate is just way too high plus the hiccups." 

(to be continued to day 2 in the hospital).

1 comments:

LaDonna said...

Stephanie...thouroghly enjoyed reading your experience. Alot made me laugh and some brought tears to my eyes. I've been put under anestheia 4 times for surgery. It's hard not to have fear come over you. God is in control...praying for you!!!